GENERAL FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
APPOINTMENT FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
NUTRITION TESTS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Testing your resting metabolic rate test (RMR) is suggested because there is no way to know with certainty how many calories a person burns just by looking at them or even doing a calculation. By having your own personalized RMR we can then customize your caloric intake needs and then further personalize your macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat). The RMR test can be taken more than once and is recommended every three to six months and if you have experienced significant weight loss, with or without bariatric surgery.
- The Nutrigenomix (nutrition DNA) test results will give you and your dietitian additional information (nutrient metabolism, heart health, food intolerances, eating habits, if a high protein eating plan is best for weight loss etc.) based on your DNA to further customize your nutrition plan.
- The ALCAT (food sensitivity) test may be suggested to help you feel better. Whether you are having migraines, gastrointestinal issues (gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, pain) etc. finding out which foods you are reacting to may be the key to help decrease your symptoms.
The protocol for each test as follows:
- Resting Metabolic Test (RMR) - clients are encouraged to come to the appointment fasting for at least three hours for accurate results, avoid exercising before the test and drink plenty of water to be properly hydrated. We typically recommend resting metabolic tests to be done in the morning.
- Nutrigenomix (Nutrition DNA) Test - The test uses is a cheek swab so it is best to not drink or eat anything 30 minutes before your swab. The protocol is also given to you with your test kit.
- ALCAT (food sensitivity) Test - Since this is a blood draw from a phlebotomist, you will want to be very well hydrated and you do not need to be fasting.